I got to thinking that when the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas sit down for their annual summer BBQ (hosted at the Tooth Fairies pad), Easter Bunny must feel quite sad hearing about all the mince pies and sherry Father C gets left every Christmas.
With that in mind, I endeavoured to leave a little edible something out this weekend, delivering giant chocolate eggs must be pretty tiresome work, but what do bunnies eat as a treat?
I made a Chubby Carrot Cake, based on Lorraine Pascale’s Big Fat Carrot Cake but with the ingredients cut by a third (it was still absolutely huge but luckily keeps brilliantly).
For the sponge:
350ml vegetable oil
350g soft dark brown sugar
280g carrots, peeled and grated
Zest of 2 oranges
350g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
2/3 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tbsp cinnamon
¼ tbsp nutmeg
2 drops vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 180 °C.
2. Mix together the oil, eggs, sugar, carrots, vanilla and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine well.
5. Spoon the mixture into two prepared cake tins and bake for 40-45 mins.
6. Once the tops spring back when pressed take them out of the oven, cool for 5 mins and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before you add the frosting.
For the frosting:
133g icing sugar
27g butter, cubed
Zest of 1 orange
1 drop vanilla extract
77g low-fat cream cheese
1. Mix the icing sugar, butter, orange zest and vanilla together in a bowl, add the cream cheese.
2. When the cakes are cool spread half the frosting on one cake, place the other cake on top and cover with the rest of the frosting.
You can decorate with toasted walnuts if you like (I’m allergic so stick to plain or a little orange zest)
- Miss C x